Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Project Scrap Away Challenge #7

Here's my entry for Challenge #7 for Scrap-n-Crop's Project Scrap Away. For Challenge 7 we were required to create a LO on some tragedy or ugly event that has happened in your life. LOs could be any size. On the blog it said: "scrapbooking isn't all about noting down the happy things, it is more powerful when we journal life's downs rather than only the ups."

I found this challenge really hard ... it didn't help that my darling hubby suggested I do a topic which I dutifully sat and journaled away for, but on Saturday for some reason I went back and read the challenge again and decided what I was working on was more traumatic and not tragic or ugly. So put that aside and went for the topic I originally thought of :-) Late Saturday night I sent my Mum an email asking for scanned copies of newspaper articles about my Uncle drowning. (thank goodness for Mums for keep news clippings!) :-)

This LO is for my Book of Me (which is 8x8) about my Uncle drowning. He was only 43 years old and had a wife and 5 children. I chose a paua shell patterned paper because it reminded me of the colours in the sea and picked a green that toned with it for the journal tag. The rest of the LO I mainly kept to black and silver colours for a more serious tone. I didn't want to use photos of my Uncle, so used scanned pictures from newspaper clippings of his boat after the accident. The top frame I typed in the headings from the news articles about the tragedy.

The journaling I hid on a tag as it's about my memories (at the age of 11 - nearly 12!) of my Uncle and the funeral. I've just shared a little of the journaling here, I have journaled on both sides of the tag.

I used UTEE around the edge of the PP to give it a metal look and feel like his boat.

The transparent piece is a Prima paintable ... they are cool those things :-)

I am really pleased with how the LO turned out. It was a bit of a stressful one (a) because of the topic (not used to scrapping stuff like this) and (b) the time frame! I didn't get to do very much at all on Sunday as we were out all day, and was very aware of the deadline looming! It took ages for the LO to sort of "gel" in my head and get it sorted and looking right. But I am really happy with the finished result.



Journaling:

On LO - Loved Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Uncle, Friend, Sadly Missed

Washer Word says 'search'

In Frame - Headings from Newspaper articles - Local missing after trawler capsizes, Boy saw (boat) swamped, Search continues, Missing fisherman a "fighter" in the fishing industry, Body of (name removed) fisherman found

On Tag - (edited for public viewing)
On (date removed) 1985 – Uncle (name removed) was accidentally drowned while crossing the bar to the (name removed) Harbor entrance coming back from a days fishing. Several large waves capsized his boat about 150 meters from the shore. A rescue attempt was made by 2 men in a jet boat, but their boat was capsized as well and it sunk, they were lucky to escape and swim to shore. Uncle (name removed) body washed to shore about 4 days after the accident. I was nearly 12 years old. I remember being at the funeral and looking at the casket and bursting into tears. I remember Mum comforting me and telling me that Uncle (name removed) was safe with God and I remember telling her that I wasn't crying for Uncle (name removed), I knew he was with God, but I was crying for Aunty (name removed). I remember Mum just giving me a big hug.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ... it's hard to know whether it's "okay" to say how much I like the layout ... the journalling is very moving, I must admit I had a tear in my eye. It takes a lot of courage to scrap the not-so-happy moments, so I commend you for doing that. The page really does look amazing, and I'm sure it was therapeutic (even though difficult) for you to document that moment.

Anonymous said...

thats a beautiful layout even if the topic was hard to scrap. The paua paper is stunning and works well with your topic and colour scheme.

Penny said...

I really think you did a great job - the whole thing goes so well together. I especially like the hanging "search" element. The paua and silver does make it sea-like in feel.

Like Hannah, I admit to having a tear in my eye after reading the journalling. Hidden journalling was an inspired touch!

Mrs Frizz said...

Rachel, this one has totally blown me away - at the same time brought back many memories. I lost my BIL in the Kotuku tragedy two years ago and have yet to scrap a layout ... it's in the back of my mind [along with the paua paper].

I know under the circumstances 'ace-ing' it sounds strange ... but you have ... you've 'aced' it.